So my first year exams are over!!! Contrary to what you might expect I still feel a heavy burden on my shoulders. This is because I tend to over indulge in chocolates, buttery pastries and my all time weakness, Ben & Jerry’s phish food. So, rather than celebrating my short term freedom I find myself struggling to loose the pounds I’ve piled on and detox of all sugar, fat and lord knows what else.
This year, this burden was particularly augmented by the intense heat in London. So I came up with this dairy recipe ( with a diary free alternative). So this is my mango lassi recipe to help you beat the heat and get one of your five a day.
See tips and shortcuts below.
5 extremely ripe mangoes, (Alfonsos work very well)
(500ml) 2 cups greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
optional (80-175ml) 1/4- 1/2 cup of honey or agave
- Cube and destone the mangoes.
- Place the mango and yoghurt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of the honey to the blender and blitz.
- Keep adding the honey and tasting the mixture until it is to your level of sweetness.
- Place the mixture in a freezer safe dish and freeze.
- Take dish out of the freezer 30 minutes before serving and enjoy.
Tips and Shortcuts
For when you can’t wait: you can buy frozen cubed mangoes from the supermarket for an instant froyo.
For lazy students and a cheap alternative: you can use tinned mangoes. This makes life infinitely easier and also saves up on washing up and the need for fancy equipment.