1/4 cup of diced pancetta (thick bacon)- 70 grams
2 large egg yolks for a creamier dish or 1 large egg
1 clove of garlic
100 grams spaghetti
freshly ground black pepper
11/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a pan boil about 1.5 liters of water and add a pinch of salt once boiled.
- Add spaghetti to boiling water and boil for about 8-10 minutes, or until satisfied with texture.
- Using a spoon or ladle set aside about a cup of pasta water. Drain spaghetti. DON’T RINSE YOUR PASTA!!!
- Chop of the ends of garlic, then using the flat side of a knife squash garlic.
- Heat about a tables spoon of oil and add the garlic to the pan.
- Using a spatula, stir garlic for about 20 seconds, then scoop out of pan.
- Add pancetta to pan and add 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir for about 2 minutes and turn of heat.
- Add spaghetti to pan and toss. Taste pasta for salt and add more salt if desired. Please don’t be shy, I personally like my carbonara with some chili so go ahead and add some if you would like.
- Take pan off hob.
- Quickly mix half of Parmesan with egg.
- Add egg mixture to pan and toss well with pasta.
- Serve your dish and sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top of dish.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!!!!
1/3 cup diced chorizo-150 grams
1 small onion( about 1/4 cup finely diced)-150 grams
1 garlic clove finely diced
1/2 cup tomato passata or marinara sauce-115 grams
1-2 teaspoon chili flake
1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
spaghetti about 7 centimeters diameter when held in fist-200 grams
2 tablespoon Olive oil
1 red bell pepper( finely sliced)
- Bring water to boil in a pan- about 2 liters. Add a generous pinch of salt once it starts boiling.
- Add pasta and boil for about 8 minutes or until to your satisfaction.
- Sieve the pasta and save about 1/4 cup of the pasta water. WHATEVER YOU DO, NEVER RINSE PASTA ONCE BOILED. JUST EMPTY IT INTO THE COLANDER AND STEP AWAY!!
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Do the hot oil test, then add onions, garlic, chili flakes, red bell pepper and saute for about 1 minute and a half.
- Add chorizo and continue to stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the passata/marinara and mixed Italian herbs. Mix well and add a pinch of salt and about a pinch of freshly ground black pepper..
- Add the pasta and mix well with sauce.
- For a more saucy pasta, drizzle in pasta water until texture is to your desire.
- Taste pasta and again season it to your satisfaction. Add more salt, more chili or more herbs.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!!!!!